My two favorite things in life are animals and friends. And when those two things mix, life is perfect.
For those of you that follow me, you surely know Big Joe. Well, Amy Aranda and I met when she applied to adopt Big Joe’s girlfriend, Jaede, after rescuing them from Phoenix. (If you’re wondering how beautiful Jaede is, just scroll to the bottom. Isn’t she a beauty? It’s no wonder why Big Joe loves her so much.)
Amy may not have known it at the time, but we were destined to become friends.
As the owner of Junto Spa, in Flagstaff, it was time for Amy to get some new headshots and I’m honored that she trusted me to help tell her visual story.
As I started to write this post, I began to think of all the reasons why I love headshot sessions. To be honest, this is not where I make the most of my money, but they are definitely one of – if not the favorite type of photography I do.
5 Reasons Why I Love Professional Headshot Sessions
Not every photographer loves shooting headshots, but I do for a variety of reasons.
The biggest reason is that it allows me to get to know someone. I get to hear about their dreams, their successes and challenges of their careers, and how sometimes, they are putting it all back together. When I shoot elopements and weddings, I’m busy trying to capture moments without intruding.
When I shoot headshots, on the other hand, I totally intrude. I’m busy making my client a new friend because that comfort level often translates to stunning images.
Here are the main reasons why I love professional headshot sessions. They are:
- More casual in nature
- Full of laughter
- Inspiring when someone finds their inner confidence
- Genuine which produces real smiles
Speaking of smiles, looking through past headshot sessions to find one to showcase made me smile. It was a wonderful walk down memory lane. Some of my clients were friends when we began, others became friends later on.
I think the thing that resonated with me most, though, was that almost all of the sessions started out with my client feeling uneasy. And looking at the images I can see when they began to feel comfortable and confident.
Here are a few things you need to know about getting your headshots done.
1. The best headshots are authentic to who you are and allow people to see and feel who you are as a person.
2. Your shoulder position matters – lower them as much as you can. Roll one shoulder forward or backward because asymmetrical shoulders work best.Yes, that’s a thing.
3. I mentioned it in last week’s blog, but it is so important that it warrants another reminder. You want to lengthen your neck and move your head slightly forward, similar to a ‘pecking’ motion. While not always the most natural feeling, this is the trick to looking confident and engaged.
Take Your Best Shot – Literally
Every Monday in April, join me in my downtown studio or at downtown Flagstaff outside location for a 15-minute headshot photography session. After we create some magic together, you’ll receive a polished high-resolution image to use online, in your marketing and wherever a good photo is required.
Here are the details:
- The 15-minute sessions are available on April 9, 16, 23 and 30
- You’ll have access to an online gallery to select your image
- Package includes one image – additional photos can be purchased
- The cost is $99
Let’s schedule something:
Click here to book your headshot session or call 928-774-0220
And as promised, let me introduce you to Jaede.